Thursday, January 12, 2012

Entry 2 -- Roughing it

I made myself a personal deadline to have Entry 2 finished by January 8.

It is January 12 and I am working on it. I'm guessing this means I am not going to have entry 3 done by the end of this month either. I am finding it difficult to really get myself going during the week. It's difficult because while this is important to me, I do not want to feel like I am completely neglecting my family obligations either.

The best thing, to me, about National Board, is that it is all about the clear expectations. While some of the portfolio directions feel at times like they may as well be written in Greek, for the most part, they are very, very clear on what they want you to do. I find that is one of the only things keeping me sane right now. I know that when push comes to shove, everything I am required to do is spelled out for me, I just have to do it.

For the EMC Literacy certificate, Entries 1-3 require instructional context information. Since the assessor is not in your classroom with you, you have to "paint a picture". For the literacy certificate at least, all of the instructional contexts will be a bit different because of the scope of the entry. Entry 1 focuses on writing, entry 2 on constructing meaning through reading and entry 3 of the integration of speaking, listening and viewing. In my classroom, for sure, my instructional context changes for each of those things. Yes, the number of children in my class is the same, but how I frame my classroom is not.


I read somewhere (either at  ecgen.org  or in WHAT WORKS!: Successful Strategies in Pursuing National Board Certification) that one of the smartest things to do is write your prompts out in red in your word document and then go through and write your answers (in black). This way you can be sure you answered all of the questions and when you present your entry to a reader -- if you choose to have one -- they will know what they should be looking for. It makes it simple for them to see if you answered the question/prompt or not because it's right there.

Example the red prompt in the text (blurred obviously so as not to violate NB rules).


It sounds kind of funny but it really does help. I have found it especially helpful when I am feeling stuck. The prompts keep pushing you. Sometimes it feels as though you already answered the question but you haven't -- they are all carefully framed to be just a bit different and that gets tricky sometimes as well.

I have been working pretty steadily on Entry 2 today and have found myself making it farther and farther with the prompts to keep pushing me (and not having to ruffle through my instructions to find the next question is really nice!). 

I rewatched my video and made some notes. I made my own form based on one I found in here:



I have probably watched this video 8-9 times now and every time you get a little more out of it. Here's my form:

The columns are blank because I'm just not that far yet!


This entry would be driving me insane if I hadn't read What Works. Seriously the ideas, positive message and encouragement are very helpful. Especially to someone like myself who has no mentor or cohort to bounce ideas off of. 

I will keep chipping away at this entry. I am bound and determined to put this one to bed by Monday night (the 16th). Crossing my fingers I make it, only a week after my original goal!

4 comments:

Aleisha said...

You can do it! Keep plugging away! :) That's the same two sentences I have to keep telling myself as I travel through this journey! :)

Fergie413 said...

I too am pursuing my national boards. What do you have on your video tape template sheet?

Vicky e said...

What did your timeline/due dates look like?

Raye said...

Vicky, my original timeline gave me 4-5 weeks per entry. For the most part, I chose to work on them one at a time so that I could truly focus upon them. I did my video taping early in the year (the fall) so that I would be able to focus after the holidays upon writing the analysis portion. When I did National Board the first time (it took me two tries), our due date was the end of March for the portfolio so I worked backward from that date to set my own timelines. I know the timeline has changed a little since I finished in the spring of 2013 but working backward from when I knew it was due worked best for me.