Monday, January 9, 2012

Videotaping

When I was prepping over the summer to begin National Board, one thing I read several times was to videotape early. This is mostly so you aren't scrambling to get a usable video a couple of weeks before deadline or end up sending off a less than stellar video segment because you didn't have enough time to tape another one and then effectively analyze it.

I found this advice to be invaluable. I set a goal for myself to have both of my videos finished for my entries by the winter break. There were several reasons: first of all, I think the videotaping, for me at least, is the most stressful part. You want to look good but you also want your instruction to look -- and be! -- authentic; second of all, the earlier you videotape, the more time you have if, during your reflection process, you decide that you are not happy with one of the segments and you want to try another lesson instead. 

I had planned to begin videotaping as soon as I felt like our routines were well established. With this group, I really could have done my videos at the end of September and they would have been fine, I'm sure. I am used to working with big kiddos who, when you explain reasons for things to them, for the most part, they get it. They realize the importance and do the best they can. I found that with this group of 2nd graders, the same was true. Not to say there wasn't some messing around and that I got perfect videos the first time through. They are children after all.

However, after the first couple of times when a few children messed around and we had a class meeting about it, they realized how important it was to me so I could be a better teacher for them. I had my videos done before Halloween and things were great. Sadly, The Husband was trying to transfer the videos to a DVD and did not back them up first so they were all lost in mid-November.

Fortunately for him, he's cute so I forgave him (plus I got a nice dinner and my nails done out of it!). I took the camera back to school, explained what happened and we did it again. We were all set by the end of November. I had videos that maybe weren't perfect but were definitely usable for what I need. I got over having "perfection" real quick. Yes, I want to look like the most amazing teacher ever, but I also want my lessons to look like they are real teaching. Like this same lesson would have happened even if a camera wasn't in the room. I also made triple sure that before I ever let my hubby touch that camera that I had THREE copies of my video segments--I have them on the PC and two separate flash drives just in case! 

Finding a good program to use to make the DVDs is equally important. I stumbled upon Wondershare and I really like it. It allowed me to put my segments together and it was really easy to do. It is a program that I think was well worth the money.

Moral of the story: videotape early, videotape often and BACK UP THE VIDEOS before you let anyone else anywhere near them to save yourself a headache!


Photobucket

No comments: